Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Wheatley Crochet Pattern


Wanna see more of my creations? Why not follow my facebook page?
 
So my good friend Alex commissioned me to make him Wheatley, from Portal 2. I had no idea who he was, but I decided to take on the challenge. As soon as I started researching, I wanted to cry. But I set myself the task of doing this, especially as Alex has been awesome and commissioned heaps from me.
Being nice, I wrote down the pattern as I went, so here is my pattern I created. I warn you now, it's not easy (especially those damn bar things) but if you put the work in, it's well worth it. Well, I think so.

Pattern is untested, any queries just message me and I'll try to explain/fix it.

You will need - Yarn in white, charcoal, grey, black, sky blue and baby blue.
                     - Appropriate hook for your yarn to get tight fabric ( I used 8ply and 3.25mm)
                     - Plastic canvas
                     - Stuffing
                     - felt in black and medium grey
                     - small wooden dowel or similar
                     - craft/ hot glue
                     - embroidery needle.

Cheat Sheet

Ch – Chain
Sc – single crochet

FO – Finish off
FLO - Front Loops Only - crochet into the front loops of stitch
BLO – Back Loops Only – crochet into the back loops of stitch

Dec – decrease by putting hook into front loop of two stitches to be brought together, yarn over and bring through all 3 loops on hook. Also known as an “invisible decrease.”
MR6  - Magic Ring plus starting number of stitches. If you don’t know how to do a Magic Ring, I suggest you Google/ YouTube it.

I made my Wheatley in amigurumi style - a continous spiral. In retrospect, I think that certain areas (in particular the eye) would work better in joined rounds, as the colour changes wouldn't be as noticable. It's up to you how you make it.


Eye (make one)

Start in Baby Blue.
1: MR6 (6)
2: *2sc in each sc* repeat around (12) FO Baby Blue, attach Sky Blue.
3: *sc in the next sc, 2 sc in the next sc* repeat around (18)
4: *sc in the next 2 sc, 2 sc in next sc* repeat around (24) FO Sky Blue,.attach Charcoal.
5: FLO *sc in the next 7 sc, 2 sc in next sc* repeat around (27)
6: *sc in next 8 sc, 2 sc in next sc* repeat around (30) FO Charcoal, attach White.
7: BLO *sc in the next 5 sc, 2 sc in next sc* repeat around (35)
8: *sc in the next 6 sc, 2 sc in the next sc* repeat around (40)
9: *sc in the next 7 sc, 2 sc in the next sc* repeat around (45) FO White, attach Light Grey.
10: *sc in the next 14, 2 sc in next sc* repeat around (48) FO, leaving long tail for sewing on later. Attach a circle of plastic canvas to back of eye, making the canvas the same size as the eye itself (the blue part.) 

Cut 3 small circles from medium felt for the 'buttons' and glue to the bottom left of eye. Embroider a small triangle shape with grey yarn on top right.  Reference pictures will help with this part.


Side...eyes? (make three)

Start in Black
1: MR6 (6)
2: *2 sc in each sc* repeat around (12)
3: *sc in the next sc, 2 sc in the next sc* repeat around (18)
4: *sc in the next 2 sc, 2 sc in the next sc* repeat around (24) FO Black, attach Charcoal
5: FLO *sc in the next 7 sc, 2 sc in next sc* repeat around (27)
6: *sc in next 8 sc, 2 sc in next sc* repeat around (30) FO Charcoal, attach Light Grey.
7: BLO sc around (30)
8:sc around (30) FO, leaving long tail for sewing on later on two side eyes. Attach a circle of plastic canvas to back of eye thing, making the canvas the same size as the eye itself (the black part.)


Body
Take the side eye with no tail, and attach White yarn.
1: *sc in the next 5 sc, 2 sc in next sc* repeat around (35)
2: *sc in the next 6 sc, 2 sc in the next sc* repeat around (40)
3: *sc in the next 7 sc, 2 sc in the next sc* repeat around (45)
4: sc around (45)
5: *sc in the next 8 sc, 2 sc in the next sc* repeat around (50)
6 -7: sc around (50)
8: *sc in the next 9 sc, 2 sc in the next sc* repeat around (55)
9 - 10: sc around (55)
11: BLO *sc in the next 9 sc, dec over next 2 sc* repeat around (50)
12: FLO *sc in the next 8 sc, dec over next 2 sc* repeat around (45)
13 - 17: sc around (45)
18: *sc in the next 8 sc, 2 sc in next sc* repeat around (50) 
19: FLO *sc in the next 9 sc, 2 sc in the next sc* repeat around (55) 
20: BLO sc around (55)
21: sc around (55)
22: *sc in the next 9 sc, dec over next 2 sc* repeat around (50)
23 - 24: sc around (50)
25:  *sc in the next 8 sc, dec over next 2 sc* repeat around (45)
26: sc around (45)
27: *sc in the next 7 sc, dec over next 2 sc* repeat around (40)
28: *sc in the next 6 sc, dec over next 2 sc* repeat around (35)
29: *sc in the next 5 sc, dec over next 2 sc* repeat around (30)  FO, stuff firmly but dont distort the middle section (rows 13-17 should sit lower than the rest of the toy. See reference pictures for help)

Sew on second side eye to end of body to close toy. 
Attach eye to front of toy, centre of body. Attach final side eye to back of body, in line with front eye. Look at reference pictures on google for a better idea.

Take grey yarn, and embroider a straight line down row 15 of the body (aka the centre of the body.)

Cut two strips of black felt, attach to top and bottom of body in that row 13-17 space. Cut a larger circle from medium felt and glue to the body. Again, reference pictures help with this part.

Side...arms? (make four) ...Seriously need to name things better.

Start in Black 
1: MR6 (6)
2: *2 sc in each sc* repeat around (12)
3: *sc in the next sc, 2 sc in the next sc* repeat around (18)
4: *sc in the next 2 sc, 2 sc in the next sc* repeat around (24)
5: sc in the next 4 sc, ch 1, turn (4)
6 - 13: sc in the next 4 sc, ch1, turn (4) FO, leave long tail for sewing on later.

Small Circles (make four)
Start in Light Grey.

1: MR6 (6) FO, leave long tail for sewing on later.

Large Circles (make four)
Start in Light Grey.

1: MR6 (6) 
2: *2sc in each sc* repeat around. FO, leave long tail for sewing on later.

Attach a small circle to near top of side arm. Attach a large circle to bottom of side arm, centre of circle. Repeat for all side arms, keeping the position of each circle as similar as possible.

 To make the bars:
So I took my wooden dowels and cut 2 bars approx 23 rows of the body long. I then cut 4 small pieces; the height I took approx from the top of the large grey circle to the bottom of the small grey circle. (These small pieces help strenghten the side arm.)

To colour the side arms, I took craft glue, and yarn, and just wrapped around the dowel, glueing as I went. I used black on the 4 small pieces, and grey on the 2 large dowels.

The idea is you glue the grey bar to two side arms, in line with the two small grey circles at the top. Then to stablise the arm, I glued a small black bar under the grey bar, to each side arm. I then sewed the (dried) side arm/bar contraption to the body, one at the top and one at the bottom. Unfortunately there is no set formula for this part, it was all guess work. 


AND YOU ARE DONE!

Congrats if you finished Wheatley. I would love the see photos of your creations!

You are welcome to sell finished products. Just don't sell the pattern! If you wanna maybe put a link to this pattern, I'd appreciate it.

Want me to come up with a pattern for you? Or want me to crochet something for you? See my facebook page: Cherry Pie

1 comment:

  1. This was really helpfun thanks! I honestly dislike it when their is a whole bunch of random crap about the bloggers life beofore you get the actual patern, so thanks!

    ReplyDelete